Saturday, May 28, 2011

Green Eggs and...meat

This April I turned 28, and while the year itself is not an especially significant milestone, my reaching it was celebrated with great...well...greatness! As a birthday should be, mine was celebrated in several stages: drinks and snacketizers with friends and coworkers; a wonderful day and dinner at Big River with Kerry; a day with Kerry and her mom, and taco salads and strawberry shortcake, and presents; well wishes via Facebook, the postal service, and email; and a final installment at a recent Derby party with the half of the family that I brought to the marriage. Yes, I realize that I have mis/overused the conjunction, and. But it really was so great, and thoughtful, and fun, and surprising, and...and...and!

Now, what's with the title of this post? Anybody I've talked to since my birthday has probably heard about the Big Green Egg (reverent silence) at least five or six dozen times. The Big Green Egg was this year's big green gift made possible by the contrification (see v. contrive) of Kerry, and her accomplices, the Grandparents Mac, Kris, and Jim and Sue.

This grill/oven/smoker/roaster is truly indicative of the holy spirit, present in the lives of those who work with clay and fire. It is truly how God intended meat and fire to join for the sustenance of human life. I think you get the idea of how I truly feel. In the five or six times that I have used it I have not once been disappointed, and I have made beer-can chicken, pork tenderloin, pizza, another beer-can chicken, another pizza, and other delicious treats.

The presentation of the BGE was perfect as well. Since the body of it is 2" ceramic it weighs in at 140lbs. For that reason I got to help pick it up (literally) from the store. Well done, Kerry, Kris, Mac and Marion, Jim, and Sue! To give you a preview: Thanksgiving will never be the same!

I've been enjoying the various accoutrements that go with this grill as well. I've also started reading for pleasure thanks to the Kindle Mom and Dad gave me. There are so many books that I've thought I should read that I am now getting into. Incidentally if anyone would like to discuss the social commentary H.G. Wells presents through The Time Machine, I feel well-equipped to do so.

It was a great birthday and I felt well loved and appreciated by all!

No comments: