Sunday, October 10, 2010

Joe Graduated: Disneyland!

This summer also saw to the end of my formal education! Yes, that’s right, I now have a M.Ed. in College Student Services Administration with a minor in Business Administration. Because I was a part time student (working full time) it took me a solid three years to complete my degree. While I wouldn’t have done it any other way (full time being the other option) I was definitely happy to be done with it! We celebrated the day with a ceremony with my cohort and a gathering back at our house. It was great to celebrate the day with family and friends. Perhaps the greatest part of being done with school was my graduation present from Kerry.

A few days before my actual graduation, Kerry let me know what was happening by giving me a pair of mouse ears, pre-embroidered with my name! (That’s right we were going to Disneyland) It is important to note that several weeks beforehand she had come to the conclusion that because we had been working so hard that we needed a break and that we should take a week off of work just to relax around the house. Of course I bought it hook, line, and sinker. So with my week off of work already scheduled, we were off to the happiest place on earth.

While the shuttle ride from LAX to the hotel was a little harrying (I’ve never seen somebody stand up as they drove…) We made it safely and were surprised to find that our hotel rooms had been upgraded to the executive level (with a great view of the park) and just for kicks they threw in a $100 gift card to use at the hotel restaurants (breakfast was taken care of!)

With the necessities taken care of, it was off to the park. There is a certain uplifting feeling that you get as soon as you walk out on to Main Street--the music, the people, the shops, and the general suggestion that everything is going to be just fine! Disneyland can get a bit overwhelming and we found that Main Street was a nice place to cool our heels and stroll along to the show tunes.

For both Kerry and me, it was our first time eating meals at the restaurants in the park. One meal in particular was quite thrilling—We got to eat IN Pirate’s of the Carribean! I still can’t believe it as I type it. There is a restaurant, The Blue Bayou that has its seating on a veranda in the middle of the ride. If you ever happen to find yourself on the ride, there is a point when the boat passes through a bayou, to your right is a terrace—that’s where we ate! While the trip was for my graduation, the dinner was also a pre-celebration of our fifth anniversary. We had a great time, saw some incredible shows, and relived the same magic that we felt when we went to Disneyland when we were younger. Thanks Kerry!

This was our very last night in the park. We were about to leave and then decided that it would be too much to leave without getting our picture with Mickey.



Yep! This is us eating in 'Pirates.'
I really thought I would be the one to lift it--never happened.


I think that Kerry probably got closer.


This was awesome to watch. It was the Jedi Training Academy. This is right as Darth Vader crashes the light saber lesson. One kid actually pulled out a Force push on him.


Mickey's marching band.


This is still one of my favorite rides--and I even fit! The rocket ships were a different story though.



We are some fine looking Mousketeers!



When we went to Disneyland we wore buttons that said "I'm celebrating my graduation / anniversary." This amazing cream filled doughnut was the result of said buttons. New Orleans Square: a good and filling place to eat.



This is me crouching down for my hood. The squat is because the hooder was quite a lot shorter than the hoodee.

We're going to Disneyland!

No comments: